A Dowelltown woman escaped with her infant child after discovering a chimney fire at their home Saturday morning.
“We responded to 578 Frazier Hollow Road in Dowelltown Saturday morning around 8:30 a.m. for a chimney fire at the residence of Catlynn Watt, who was at home with her infant child when she found her chimney on fire,” said DeKalb County Fire Chief Donny Green.
“When firefighters arrived, they found flames shooting from the top of the chimney and that creosote had ignited inside the chimney liner. Firefighters were able to use dry chemical extinguishers to put out the fire before any structural damage occurred,” Chief Green continued.
The Liberty and Main stations of the DeKalb County Fire department responded along with the department’s tanker truck, DeKalb EMS, and DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department.
Chief Green reminds residents who use wood heat to make sure their chimneys are inspected at least annually by a qualified person and cleaned and maintained regularly. “Always use seasoned firewood and never use fire wood high in tar residue such as pine and cedar,” Chief Green advised.