The Smithville Police Department is investigating an apparent arson at South Fork Apartments at 524 Miller Road Friday afternoon.
Smithville Fire Chief Charlie Parker says city firefighters were summoned to the apartment complex around 2:15 p.m. Friday. Upon arrival, they found that someone had apparently set fire to a small pile of debris in a crawl space underneath an apartment.
Parker says the fire was quickly extinguished but the blaze burned a small hole in the floor of one of the apartments, damaged floor joist, and melted some wiring.
The residents of the damaged apartment were not present when the fire started and no one was injured.
The case remains under investigation.