Members of the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire alarm after 3:00 a.m. today (Tuesday) at Walker Manufacturing on East Broad Street.
Fire Chief Charlie Parker says the blaze started in the industry's air filtering system. \"The system that filters the air out got some sparks or something in it which caused the fire. There's about sixty filters in that particular unit and that's where the fire was located just outside the building.\"
\"Smoke from the fire was forced inside through the vents and duct system. We did have to evacuate the building because there was a lot of smoke in there for a little while. We got everybody out and no one was hurt. We got all the burning filters pulled out and wet down to extinguish the fire and pressure fans inside the building were turned on to clear the smoke.\"