Thanks to quick action by the DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department, a home on Allens Chapel Road was spared from possible widespread fire damage Thursday night.
County Fire Chief Donny Green said that firefighters were called to the home of Ronnie Redman, Jr. at 222 Allen's Chapel Road at 7:46 p.m.
According to Chief Green, a passerby driving by saw smoke coming from the home and called 911. "When we arrived, we found no one at home. We later learned that the family had left about an hour prior to the fire to go visit friends at Gordonsville," said Green. "We made entry and found a fire in the laundry room which started in a trash can. We put out the fire and contained the damage to the laundry room and hallway outside of the laundry room. The rest of the house received extensive smoke and heat damage," said Chief Green.
Members of the Cookeville Highway, Tanker Truck, Main Station, and Short Mountain Highway Stations responded along with the Sheriff's Department and DeKalb EMS. Smithville Police officers were also there to control traffic. No one was injured.