County firefighters saved the home of Diane Shifrin of 1995 Henley Hollow Road near Alexandria this morning (Thursday).
Central dispatch received the call at 5:03 a.m.
Fire Chief Donny Green told WJLE that Ms. Shifrin was awakened by smoke and discovered a chimney fire. She initially tried to put out the fire herself, but gave up, called 911, and escaped from the home unharmed.
Members of the Liberty, Main Station, and Tanker Truck from the DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department responded. Chief Green said the fire got into the attic and then burned through the ceiling into the living room, but firefighters were able to contain the blaze there. Although the fire was extinguished, smoke spread throughout the house.